Candia Road was named by Waitemata County Council on 21 Nov 1941, previously is was No.2 Road, Swanson (reference:1).
It is named after Candia city, a British seaport on the island of Crete, which actually changed name to Heraklion after the Battle of Crete in 1941. The name Candia Bay still exists today on Crete. The steep hills at Candia Road Swanson are reminiscent of Crete (reference: 2).
Candia Road (North) was extended under Lonesome Brook rail-bridge into Swanson Rd when a new rail-bridge was built for double tracking, around 2005.
Originally, the roads in the Henderson gumfields were only numbered:
– No 1 became Coulter rd (named after a family)
– No 2 became Candia rd
– No 3 became Vineyard Road (named after grapes planted by W. Russell, very early vineyard)
– No 4 became Top of Coulter Road.
A ballot system was used for this land by the Land and Survey Dept. in 1914 for “Lease to own“.
Dawn Ellis recalls:
“both of my Grandparents had their name in the ballot system, and each got a section. Payment was started on the 27 August 1914 at £2-17-6 paid half yearly.”
In January 1887, the Weekly News reports “a large new store has been erected on the southern side of the railway line”. Charles Freeman wrote about a store at Halverson’s big house (known as Ericksons) behind the railway station. A former occupier of the house in the 1970s recalls being told by a visitor that there was a shop operating Read more...
The Knox Memorial Park is named after the Knox family who ran a general store on the opposite corner for over 50 years. Robert Knox had brought the business from James Patterson Sinclair who had set it up in about 1886. In January 1889 James Sinclair added a bakery and confectionary. The district’s bread was previously brought by train from Read more...
In preparaton for the construction of the Waitakere Dam in the early 1900s, a tramway was constructed to be able to transport all materials and supplies, including the 28ft cast iron pipe lengths, from Swanson Station to the dam site. Most of the tramway route land was secured in 1904 from Mr A. Wright for seven shillings and sixpence an Read more...