– Archeological site of Timber dam
– aka. ‘Cassels Stream driving dam’ and ‘Swanson Stream Rafter dam’
– build 1850s
– beyond end of Tram valley rd, under Kitewaho rd
[Historic Sites of the Waitakere Ranges]
The Waitakere Filter Station was built in 1927-1928 by an all-Dalmatian work force on Fletcher Construction’s payroll. Excavations were done by hand. The original compressors used in the filters were made by Sandy Filtration and were still in use in 1991. Auckland City Council employed four men an eight-hour rotating shifts, three on and one off duty. The men and Read more...
Wai Whauwhaupaku is located towards the end of Tram Valley Road. It has long been known locally as the Swanson Conservation Area and is located at the head of the Swanson stream, however the traditional Te Kawerau name is Wai Whauwhaupaku. This land was part of Te Kawerau ā Maki’s 2014 Treaty Settlement. The area takes its name from the Read more...