Bill Calvert’s first butcher’s shop was originally on this site (part of the Calvert block). After the current butchery was built in 1935 his old shop was leased for Mrs Hintz’s Home Cookery and Cyril Morris’ Boot Shop until the building burned down in 1945. Many remembered Mrs Hintz’s hot mince pies for 6d.
In 1962 Bill Calvert built the first two shops in the current block. The first shop was to house the Four Square business run by his sister and husband. This is now a dairy incorporating the post office business.
The second shop, now a takeaway outlet, was originally a separate post office outlet. Mrs Wintour was the first postmistress at this new location. NZ Post was separated into three state owned enterprises in 1987 and Swanson Post Office became a Postbank agency. The office was closed in January 1989 and the Swanson Four Square Store (next door) became the Postal Delivery Centre. This shop now houses a takeaway outlet.
Margaret Saunders opened up her first pharmacy business in November 1977 in the newly built third shop. Later the pharmacy moved across the road to its present location (see ). Currently a hairdressers occupies this third shop.
A fourth shop was built in 1981 for a bottle store which is the Waitakere Licensing Trust’s liquor outlet.
IdentityCultural Heritage Identity (CHI): 3426
Rugged Determination, p79
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.